What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate Home Remedies

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate Home Remedies

Most of us know that chocolate is bad for dogs, but not enough of us follow through with our knowledge. If you have a dog, it’s important to keep them away from chocolate because it can cause serious harm. Here’s what you should do if your dog eats chocolate:

Never feed your dog chocolate.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs. The main ingredient in chocolate that makes it so dangerous for dogs is caffeine, which can cause seizures and tremors in dogs, but more importantly, theobromine. Theobromine is a chemical found in cocoa beans and the cocoa plant itself (as well as other foods like tea leaves). It’s what gives chocolate its bitter taste!

While you may think that your dog would never eat anything as tasty as chocolate cake or brownies…think again! Just one ounce of dark chocolate can be enough to kill your pet if she ingests it. Even if a small amount of milk or semi-sweet baking chips are used in baked goods rather than traditional cocoa powder, they contain enough of this toxin to cause serious damage to your dog’s health.

Be prepared — always have the number for a 24 hour emergency vet on hand.

Always have the number for a 24 hour emergency vet on hand, along with the appropriate phone numbers for your specific vet, who treats your dog’s breed and age, and your vet that’s familiar with your pet.

It’s important to know these details in case you need them in an emergency situation.

ALSO READ:  What Is A Vent On A Chicken

Pay attention to your pup’s mood and behavior after they’ve consumed chocolate.

If your dog has eaten chocolate, you should pay attention to their mood and behavior.

  • If your pet becomes hyperactive or is having trouble sleeping, it could be a sign that they have consumed chocolate.
  • If you suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate and are concerned about their health, seek immediate medical attention from a veterinarian.

The ingredients in dark chocolate will cause more serious symptoms than white or milk chocolate.

If your dog has ingested a small amount of chocolate, the symptoms aren’t likely to be serious. However, if he or she eats enough dark chocolate, it can cause some pretty serious health problems. That’s because cocoa contains caffeine and theobromine — two ingredients that are toxic to dogs when consumed in large amounts. Theobromine is found in the shell of the cocoa bean and is considered one of nature’s most potent stimulants; it affects heart rate and blood pressure levels as well as causing vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity and tremors.

The darker the chocolate (think semi-sweet), the more cocoa powder it contains — which means that its caffeine content will be higher too! So if you’re wondering why milk or white chocolates aren’t toxic for your pooch: chances are they don’t contain enough cocoa solids for them to feel any negative effects from consuming them!

If your dog has eaten chocolate, you should seek immediate medical attention.

If you’re concerned about your dog’s health, call a veterinarian or poison control center immediately. It’s important to seek medical attention if the following symptoms are present:

  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy or disinterest in activities of daily living
  • Seizures
ALSO READ:  Midland Marketing Grain Prices

If you think your dog has eaten chocolate but are not sure, call a veterinarian immediately.

Never induce vomiting unless directed by a vet to do so.

As tempting as it may be to try and get your dog to vomit if they’ve eaten chocolate, don’t do it. Inducing vomiting is not recommended by veterinarians because it could cause more damage than good. If you have any concerns about whether or not your dog has consumed chocolate and you suspect that he might have ingested something harmful, contact your vet immediately.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs; don’t let them eat it.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs, and they cannot metabolize it. In fact, chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea and seizures in dogs. It’s also been linked to causing heart problems and liver problems. The effects of chocolate depend on the type of chocolate a dog eats; white chocolate has far less caffeine than dark or semisweet chocolate, while baker’s chocolate contains the most caffeine of all types of products containing cocoa solids (chocolate liquor).

For example:

A 10-pound Chihuahua would need about 2 cups of milk chocolates or one bar (1 ounce) of dark chocolate with 60% cacao to become sick from eating them; this could lead to death if not treated properly!

If your dog ingests chocolate, keep them at home and contact a vet immediately. If possible, bring the packaging and or wrapper with you so that they can be identified as the source of poisoning.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *