My Dog Ate A Popsicle Stick What Should I Do

My Dog Ate A Popsicle Stick What Should I Do

When it comes to our pets, we’re always worried about them getting into something dangerous. It’s usually something that you’d expect—like cleaning products or medicine—but even the most innocuous of household items can pose a danger to your pet if they ingest them. One of those items is a popsicle stick, which might not seem like a big deal…until you remember that your dog will eat just about anything. Here’s what you need to know about the potential dangers of popsicle sticks and how you can manage them should your pet happen to get one in their system.

Risk one: obstructions

There is a risk of obstruction, which is when the foreign object gets stuck in your dog’s gastrointestinal tract. If this happens, it will prevent food from passing through and may cause vomiting and diarrhea. Your first step should be to call your vet immediately. They will likely want you to bring your dog into the office for treatment or assessment.

A vet can diagnose an obstruction by performing abdominal x-rays or ultrasound imaging (which are noninvasive), but if these tests fail to find any abnormalities, they may recommend surgery if they suspect that something is still stuck inside your pet’s gut—they’ll need to get inside and check things out before they can determine whether it’s safe for them to pass through naturally or not!

Risk two: injury to the gums, tongue or mouth

If your dog’s gums, tongue or mouth are injured, he may experience pain and bleeding. In addition to this, the wound could become infected which can be very dangerous for your dog. An infection will cause swelling and difficulty eating or breathing.

ALSO READ:  Biodegradable Takeaway Packaging

If you see any of these symptoms occurring after eating popsicle sticks check with a vet right away.

Risk three: gastrointestinal perforation or blockage

Have you ever been so hungry that you started to think your stomach was going to eat itself? It turns out, this feeling is not just in your head. There are a number of serious health risks involved with eating sticks, and it’s important for pet owners to be aware of them so they can act quickly if their dog does happen to ingest one.

If your dog consumes large amounts of anything (including popsicle sticks), there’s a risk of gastrointestinal perforation or blockage. A gastrointestinal perforation occurs when the linings of the digestive tract tear open from pressure from within the body; this can cause severe bleeding and potentially kill an animal outright. A blockage occurs when food gets stuck somewhere within a dog’s intestines—the intestines are usually long enough so that food moves through them at a reasonable pace; however, any constrictions caused by a foreign object could lead to infection or death over time if left untreated because the body will slowly starve while trying unsuccessfully to push food through those sections where it has become stuck!

What to do if your dog swallows a popsicle stick

If your dog has eaten a popsicle stick, you should call your veterinarian immediately. If you are unable to reach a vet, then take the dog in immediately.

If you cannot transport your dog to the veterinarian and/or induce vomiting, give them activated charcoal. Follow the directions on the label of the activated charcoal product that you’ve chosen carefully, as some products require mixing with water or other liquids before giving them to your dog.

ALSO READ:  How Much Should A Shih Tzu Weigh At 4 Months

If it was recently eaten and you can see any of it protruding from either end, don’t try to pull it out.

If it was recently eaten and you can see any of it protruding from either end, don’t try to pull it out. If you can’t see any of it, you may try to gently push it down with your finger, but don’t force it.

Without a doubt, dogs will get into things that are harmful to them. They’re curious and playful, often easily distracted by their noses or the sight of something shiny on your kitchen floor. But if you suspect that your dog has swallowed a popsicle stick or anything else dangerous, you have to act quickly and carefully. Take your pets to the vet right away, even if they seem fine at first—they might not be feeling any symptoms yet of something serious that could develop later on. It’s also important not to try pulling out anything yourself if it’s stuck in there because that could make things worse than they already are!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *